Sunday, October 5, 2008

In all things there MUST be opposition!

I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoy General Conference every 6 months. It's a chance to hear the inspired words of our church leaders, our amazing Prophet, President Monson. An opportunity to receive council and guidance...and isn't it amazing how they always seem to touch on topics that directly affect SOMETHING we've been thinking about, or longing to change in our own lives? Things that we have meditated on, longed to receive answers to and just desired clarity about? I feel so resolved, all questions answered...time to make the extra effort to take one step upward, closer to the Savior.

The theme for me through this weekend of conference was that there MUST be opposition in all things. Sometimes I forget that this life is a test...and not just a test for me...but for everyone! It's really hard for me to keep this point in check because I demand a lot of myself. Why can't I have a perfectly clean home, with the dishes always done, and laundry always clean, folded and put away? Why can't I have a husband who can read my mind and take out the garbage without being asked? Why can't I have 5 PERFECT children who have a keen understanding of the gospel...who have all 13 Articles of Faith memorized...who know EVERY song in the Children's Songbook by heart, who NEVER hit, scream, fight, whine or get dirty? Why can't I be patient, never raise my voice, never be late, always have the most creative FHE's, the most delicious meals, the perfect body after 5 kids, time to exercise, time to read, time to sing, time to play the piano, have no debt, no bills, MORE money, a bigger house, newer cars, better clothes, LOTS of shoes? Why? Why?? WHY??? Because if my life was perfect, I would have no purpose in being here. On the one side, I would have no frustration, no stress, no despair, no fear, no agony, no envy...and on the flip side I would have no gratitude, no work ethic, no money or time-managing skills, no appreciation for my children, no appreciation for my husband, and no testimony. There must be opposition in all things...and along with this, there can be JOY in the JOURNEY! Just because we experience opposition doesn't mean we have to suffer through it...we are required to endure it...but endure it WELL! Why need I fear if I my Savior is steering my ship? He calmed the raging sea of Galilee...why not the raging seas that are in my life from time to time? All things are possible in the Lord, if I put my trust in Him...the oppositions I face will become learning experiences and will allow me to grow and progress.

Anyways, I could go on and on aobut that topic...but I will leave you with my testimony instead (and it's probably going to be long, sorry!). I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. Every day and every night, and many times a day in between I am thanking my Heavenly Father for restoring it. I have an unshakable faith in temple ordinances. I have felt the feeling of my family being temporary...and have felt the feeling of my family becoming eternal, and I testify, there are no words that can adequately express the difference between them. Night and day, dark and light...the cold of winter and the warmth of the sun. This gospel not only holds the Priesthood keys, but the keys to eternal joy and happiness. I am so grateful, so truly grateful for the life I have because of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that through my Savior I can do all things...because all things are possible through Him. The Atonement is real, it was a necessary step in bringing us back into God's presence. I love the scriptures and love the temple with all my heart. I know we have a Prophet today, President Monson, who leads and guides us with the love of our Heavenly Father, who receives revelation and directs us in ways that will keep us on the path that leads to eternal life. I am filled with gratitude today...and hope that I will be filled with gratitude each and every day of my life. The church is true, and I am grateful to be a part of it!

1 comment:

Debbi said...

beautiful testimony, beautiful heart! I loved reading this.